Bike insurance provides you with the financial aid that you need when your bike has damaged. A two-wheeler is the most common mode of transport for daily rides. While bigger vehicles like cars get stuck in traffic for long hours, you can easily move through the congestion and reach your destination on time with your bike. Driving through the gridlocks is dangerous and you might bump into something and hurt yourself, as well as damage your two-wheeler. Also, it is difficult to find a parking spot on crowded roads, which increases the chances of your bike getting stolen. Having two-wheeler insurance is thus critical, which can save your out-of-pocket expenses in case of such unfortunate incidents. Here is what you should know to choose the best two-wheeler insurance online:
You should know the various jargon used in the insurance sector. For when you buy bike insurance online, it’ll help you have a basic knowledge of the following words:
- IDV – IDV stands for Insured’s Declared Value. IDV for a two-wheeler is calculated on the ex-showroom price of the vehicle and based on the make, model, sub-model, and registration date of the two-wheeler.
- Deductible – It is the amount that you need to pay at the time of every claim. This is a compulsory deductible. For all the two-wheelers, the deductible is INR 100 irrespective of the CC (Cubic Capacity) of the vehicle. You can opt for a voluntary deductible as well, which is the amount you choose to pay yourself in every claim you register, to get an additional discount on the premium while buying/renewing the policy.
- NCB – No Claim Bonus is the discount offered by the insurance company to you for every claim-free policy year. This discount is offered on OD (Own Damage) premium only.
- Third-Party Bike Insurance – It is a compulsory insurance cover for your bike, which has been mandated by the Motor Vehicles Act. It covers the loss/damage and other liability caused by a third-party vehicle or property resulting from your two-wheeler.
2. The Policy Coverage
A best two-wheeler insurance policy should provide the following covers:
- Loss/Damage to your vehicle because of natural causes and/or other unfortunate events like theft, burglary, etc.
- Personal Accident Cover
- Third-Party Legal Liability
Comprehensive insurance for two-wheelers provides all coverages, while the liability-only policy is limited to coverage for third-party expenses. You should also have a look at the inclusions and exclusions of the policy so that there are no surprises when you file a claim for your two-wheeler.
3. The Add-on covers
Insurance companies provide additional covers, which can enhance the basic coverage of your two-wheeler. Following are some of the add-ons that are available in the market:
- Zero or Nil depreciation cover
- 24 x 7 Spot help cover
- Personal accident cover for pillion riders
- Loss of accessories
4. The Claim process
You can file a two-wheeler claim either offline or online. Both the ways of filing the claim are straightforward. The important point to consider here is that you should be ready with all the required documents for claim processing so that there is no hindrance in the claim settlement process.
5. Reputation of the company
While applying for online bike insurance, you go through the customer testimonials cataloged on the official website of the insurance company. This customer feedbacks reflect the sincere and honest opinions about the services offered by the insurance company. You should be vigilant enough to have a look at this information, which can sometimes be the deciding factor to buy the insurance policy online.
Hope these pointers will be helpful to you when you buy the best two-wheeler insurance policy online. We recommend you choose the plan carefully, keeping in mind the above tips and your two-wheeler insurance requirements. If you do not wish to continue with your policy later, you can always buy a different policy during your two-wheeler insurance renewal.
Where To Find Bike Insurance?
OVX India is one of India’s Largest Upcoming Online Marketplace, which you can access from anywhere in India. Just Log on to OVX Inda & search for bike insurance after providing a location. The page takes you to a place where a list of insurance agents offers their insurance services.
If you liked this article, check out our post-5 things to consider before purchasing life insurance